Tarotpedia talk:Community Portal
What is a community portal?
(unsigned question by Katie)
- Good question, Katie ... It's whatever we as the community make it. To give you an example of what could be done, here's the link to Wikipedia's Community Portal: click here As well, for example, Wikipedia has a Village Pump for technical or policy issues, Help desk for questions about how to use the forum, and Reference desk for subject-matter questions. --Aquarius Rising 08:08, 28 January 2006 (PST)
I would suggest that Tarotpedia open up a Community Portal page and Community Portal talk page.
The Wikipedia Community Portal and Village Pump are very dense or cluttered because of the vast size of Wikipedia and the number of users. In terms of what might suit Tarotpedia at early stages, I would suggest something along the lines of what Star Wars Wiki (Wookieepedia) has. It has a relatively simple Community Portal, containing useful orientation info for newcomers and regular users alike; and it has the Community Portal talk page functioning as its village pump (communal discussion board). The Community Portal talk page located at that site is quite easy to navigate. (Note: It is common practice in wikiforums to 'archive' page content when pages become too long. Such archived content is still available by hyperlink to all members.)
--Aquarius Rising 13:38, 28 January 2006 (PST)
- Thank you Aquarius Rising - the 'community portal' page is now open. It perhaps should be noted that unlike general wiki communities, there is a difference in that the Tarot Community already has vibrant Tarot Communities that would best be encouraged via existing forums, the discussion pages here more for direct Tarotpedia related material.
- The 'village pump' or communal discussion board, in general terms, is encouraged to therefore take place in Bulletin Board Forums (such as Aeclectic's Tarotforum). Tarotpedia, currently and in the foreseeable future uses MediaWiki as its basis, and therefore has many apparent similarities to wikipedia and other mediawiki-based editable pages, but also has differences with regards to its relationship to existing online tarot communities (even where there are differences of views). Tarotpedia will develop to be a common editable resource, rather than itself build or duplicate community discussion boards.
- There is also, in this ongoing and vibrant Beta phase, still a few resolutions to be determined, including consistency of reference to the same deck or group of decks. We are in the process of discussing this - a possibly sensitive issue that will need to be resolved before Tarotpedia emerges from 'Beta' phase.
- --Jmd 03:17, 6 February 2006 (PST)
Is there a place somewhere on this site for Tarot video(s)? I wrote a review of one once, and thought I'd add it.
- I presume you mean writing about a Tarot Video, rather than showing one. If that is the case, for now I would suggest using the Book Template. We will need to add other media (such as videos) to the list. Jmd 21:47, 14 June 2006 (PDT)