History and Iconography
 Suggested Divinatory Meanings
- Cutting to the heart of a matter
- Betrayal in a relationship
- Heartbreak or sorrow. Also, the need to understand your sorrow.
- Severing emotional ties -- hence, a separation or divorce
- An avoidance or deadening of our emotions or feelings. For example, being a workaholic or tending to over-intellectualize our experiences are a couple of ways to avoid feeling or experiencing our emotions. Thus, beware allowing our intellect to kill our emotions.