Tarot contribution
Robert M. Place (born 1947) is an artist and author who has created four tarot decks: the Alchemical Tarot, Buddha Tarot, Tarot of the Saints and the Angels Tarot. In addition to the books that accompany his decks and a variety of essays, his book Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, published in 2005, is bound to find a place amongst the most important works published this decade.
Robert M. Place is an internationally known visionary artist and illustrator, whose award winning works, in painting, sculpture, and jewelry, have been displayed in galleries and museums in America, Europe, and Japan and graced the covers and pages of numerous books and publications. He is the designer, illustrator, and co-author, with Rosemary Ellen Guiley, of The Alchemical Tarot and The Angels Tarot, which are both published by HarperCollins and have received international acclaim particularly for their skillful and illuminating graphics. He is the designer, illustrator, and author of The Tarot of the Saints, and The Buddha Tarot, which are published by Llewellyn. The Tarot of the Saints has been favorably reviewed by Library Journal, appeared on the cover of Publisher's Weekly in the fall of 2003, and has been awarded 1st Runner Up in Sideline/Interactive (the equivalent of second place) at the 2002 International New Age Trade Show.
His fifth book, The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, was published by Tarcher/Penguin in 2005. This critically acclaimed book covers the creation of the tarot in the Renaissance, discusses the occultists and their Hermetic and Kabalistic theories about the tarot, the creation and meaning of the Waite-Smith Tarot, and includes the most complete instructions in print of Place's unique divination techniques. It is noted for its theories on tarot symbolism, which relate the images in the trumps to Italian Renaissance art from the 1400s, the time and place where the tarot originated, and describes them as a Neoplatonic allegory that is related to the Plato’s theory of the three parts of the soul. In later chapters it also champions Pamela Coleman Smith as the designer of the Waite-Smith Tarot.
"Booklist", the publication of the American Library Association, says that The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination “may be the best book ever written on that deck of cards decorated with mysterious images called the tarot.”
Robert is recognized throughout the world as an expert on and gifted teacher of the Western mystical tradition and the history and philosophy of the tarot. He has conducted lectures and workshops in education centers in the USA and Europe, including the Open Center and Omega in New York, The World Tarot Congress in Chicago, and the Museo dei Tarocchi in Riola, Italy. He has appeared on the Discovery Channel series Strictly Supernatural and his work has appeared on The Learning Channel and A&E.
 Publications and published works
- Alchemical Tarot [ISBN 1855383012]
- Alchemical Tarot: Art Edition (http://www.alchemicaltarot.com)
- Alchemical Tarot: Renewed [ISBN 978-0-9776434-1-7]
- Angels Tarot
- Buddha Tarot [ISBN 1567185290]
- Tarot of the Saints [ISBN 0738701165]
- Tarot of the Sevenfold Mystery [ISBN 1-935194-02-X ISBN 978-935194-02-6]
- Vampire Tarot [ISBN 978-0-312-36162-4[ ]ISBN 0-312-36162-9]
- Magic and Alchemy part of the series Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena (work in progress)
- Astrology and Divination part of the series Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena [ISBN 9780791093856]
- Shamanism part of the series Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena [ISBN 9780791093962]
- The Vampire Tarot [ISBN 978-0-312-36162-4] [ISBN 0-312-36162-9]
- Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination, 2005, [ISBN 1585423491]
- The Buddha Tarot Companion: A Mandala of Cards, 2004, [ISBN 1567185290]
- A Gnostic Book of Saints, 2001, [ISBN 0738701165]
- The Angels Tarot, coauthored with Rosemary Ellen Guiley, 1995, [ISBN0062511939]
- The Alchemical Tarot, coauthored with Rosemary Ellen Guiley, 1995, [ISBN 1855383012]
 other artwork
To be added